CIRCLE has a history of publishing in a variety of areas: Student Learning and Attitudes, Faculty Development, the Interface between Psychological Science and Discipline-Based Education Research, and about various Pedagogies. Many CIRCLE members also publish in other areas, and their Related Publications are included here.
Student Learning and Attitudes
- Walck-Shannon, E.M., Cahill, M.J., McDaniel, M.A., & Frey, R.F. (2019). Participating in voluntary re-quizzing is predictive of increased performance on cumulative assessments in introductory biology. CBE-Life Sciences Education, 18:ar15, 1-13. (PDF)
- Frey, R.F., Fink, A., Cahill, M.J., McDaniel, M.A., & Solomon, E.D. (2018). Peer-led team learning in general chemistry I: Interactions with identity, academic preparation, and a course-based intervention. Journal of Chemical Education, 95, 2103-2113. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.8b00375
- Fink, A., Cahill, M. J., McDaniel, M. A., Hoffman, A., & Frey, R. F. (2018). Improving General Chemistry performance through a growth mindset intervention: Selective effects on underrepresented minorities. Chemical Education Research and Practice, 19, 783-806. doi: 10.1039/C7RP00244K. (PDF)
- Cahill, M.J., McDaniel, M.A., Frey, R.F., Hynes, K.M., Repice, M.D., Zhao, J., & Trousil, R. (2018). Understanding the relationship between student attitudes and student learning. Physical Review Special Topics – Physics Education Research, 14, 010107. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevPhysEducRes.14.010107 (PDF)
- McDaniel, M.A., Cahill, M. J., Frey, R. F., Rauch, M., Doele, J., Ruvolo, D., & Daschbach, M. M. (2018). Individual differences in learning exemplars versus abstracting rules: Associations with exam performance in college science, Journal of Applied Research In Memory and Cognition. doi: 10.1016/j.jarmac.2017.11.004
- Frey, R. F., Cahill, M. J., & McDaniel, M. A. (2017). Students’ concept-building approaches: A novel predictor of success in chemistry courses, Journal of Chemical Education, 94, 1183-1394. doi: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.7b00059. (Cover art of journal) (PDF)
- McDaniel, M. A., Stoen, S. M., Frey, R. F., Markow, Z. E., Hynes, K. M., Zhao, J. & Cahill, M. J. (2016). Dissociative conceptual and quantitative problem solving outcomes across interactive engagement and traditional format introductory physics. Physical Review Special Topics – Physics Education Research,12(2),1-16. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevPhysEducRes.12.020141 (PDF)
- Repice, M.D., Sawyer, K., Hogrebe, M.C., Brown, P.J., Luesse, S.B., Gealy, D.J., & Frey, R.F. (2015). Talking through the problems: A study of discourse in peer-led small groups. Chemical Education Research and Practice. 17, 555-568 (2016). doi: 10.1039/c5rp00154d (PDF)
- Cahill, M.J., Hynes, K.M., Trousil, R., Brooks, L.A., McDaniel, M.A., Repice, M.D., Zhao, J. & Frey, R.F. (2014). A multi-year, multi-instructor evaluation of a large-class interactive-engagement curriculum. Physical Review Special Topics – Physics Education Research, 10(2), 020101. doi: http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevSTPER.10.020101 (PDF)
Interface between Psychological Science and Discipline-Based Education Research
- Rowell, S. F., Frey, R. F., Walck-Shannon, E. M. (2021). Intended and actual changes in study behaviors in an introductory and upper-level psychology course. Teaching of Psychology.
- Frey, R. F. & McDaniel, M. A. (in press). The case of the enterprising instructor. In R. J. Sternberg (Ed.), My Biggest Research Mistake. London: Sage Publications.
- Fink, A., Frey, R. F., & Solomon, E. (2020). Belonging in General Chemistry Predicts First-Year Undergraduates’ Performance and Attrition. Chemistry Education Research and Practice. DOI: 10.1039/D0RP00053A
- Fink, A., Solomon, E. D. & Frey, R. F. (2020). CIRCLE: A Research Center for EDI Initiatives. In S. L. B. Storms, S. L., Burrell, S. K. Donovan, & T. P. Williams (Eds.), Breaking Down Silos for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI): Teaching and Collaboration Across Disciplines. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- McDaniel, M. A., Mestre, J. P., Frey, R. F., Gouravajhala, R., Hilborn, R. C., Miyatsu, T., Morphew, J. W., & Slakey, L. L. (2017). Maximizing undergraduate STEM learning: Promoting research at the intersection of cognitive psychology and discipline-based education research. Report for NSF Cognitive Science and Discipline-Based Educational Research Conference held September 2016. (PDF)
- Frey, R.F. & Fitzpatrick, S.M. (2014). The benefits of cross-talk: Cognitive psychologists and STEM educators from multiple disciplines can enrich their research and enhance STEM education through shared knowledge. In M. McDaniel, R.F. Frey, S.M. Fitzpatrick, & H.L. Roediger (Eds.), Integrating cognitive science with innovative teaching in STEM disciplines [E-reader version]. doi: 10.7936/K7BG2KWM
- McDaniel, M., Frey, R.F., Fitzpatrick, S.M., & Roediger, H.L. (Eds.) (2014). Integrating cognitive science with innovative teaching in STEM disciplines. [e-reader version] doi: 10.7936/K75Q4T1X
- Fink, A. & Frey, R.F. (in press). Clicker Implementations Styles in STEM. In J.J. Mintzes & E. M. Walter (Ed.), Active Learning in College Science: The Case for Evidence-Based Practice. Springer. (Invited chapter).
- Solomon, E. D., Repice, M. D., Mutambuki, J. M., Leonard, D. A., Cohen, C. A., Luo, J. & Frey, R. F. (2018). A mixed method investigation of clicker implementation styles in STEM. CBE-Life Sciences Education, 17(2), ar30. doi: 10.1187/cbe.17-08-0180 (PDF)
- Brancaccio-Taras, L., Pape-Lindstrom, P., Peteroy-Kelly, M., Aguirre, K., Awong-Taylor, J., Balser, T., Cahill, M. J., Frey, R. F., Jack, T., Kelrick, M., Marley, K., Miller, K. G., Osgood, M., Romano, S., Uzman, J. A., & Zhao, J. (2016). The PULSE Vision & Change Rubrics, version 1.0: A valid and equitable tool to measure transformation of life sciences departments at all institution types. CBE-Life Sciences Education, 15(4), ar60. doi: 10.1187/cbe.15-12-0260 (PDF)
- Frey, R.F., Fisher, B.A., Solomon, E.D., Leonard, D.A., Mutambuki, J.M., Cohen, C.A., Luo, J., and Pondugula, S. (2016). A visual approach to helping instructors integrate, document, and refine active learning. Journal of College Science Teaching, Vol. 45 (5), 20-26.
- Frey, R. F. & Shadle, S. E. (in press). Guided inquiry. In S. R. Simonson (Ed), POGIL: An Introduction to Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning for Those Who Wish to Empower Learners. (Invited chapter).
- Sawyer, K., Frey, R.F. & Brown, P.J. (2013). Knowledge-building discourse in peer-led team learning (PLTL) groups in first-year general chemistry. In D.D. Suthers, K. Lund, C.P. Rose, C. Teplovs, & N. Law, (Eds.), Productive Multivocality in the Analysis of Group Interactions, Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning Series, Vol. 15, (pp. 191-204). New York, NY: Springer Science + Business Media B.V. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-8960-3
- Sawyer, K., Frey, R.F., & Brown, P.J. (2013). Peer-led team learning in general chemistry. In D.D. Suthers, K. Lund, C.P. Rose, C. Teplovs, & N. Law, (Eds.), Productive Multivocality in the Analysis of Group Interactions, Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning Series, Vol. 15, (pp. 183-189). New York, NY: Springer Science + Business Media B.V. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-8960-3
- Hockings, S.C., DeAngelis, K.J., & Frey, R.F. (2008). Peer-led team learning in general chemistry: Implementation and evaluation. Journal of Chemical Education, 85, 990. doi: 10.1021/ed085p990 (PDF)
Related Publications by CIRCLE Members
- Miyatsu, T., Gouravajhala, R., Nosofsky, R. M., & McDaniel, M. A. (2018). Feature highlighting enhances learning of a complex natural science category. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition. doi: 10.1037/xlm0000538
- Miyatsu, T., Nguyen, K., & McDaniel, M. A. (2018). Five popular study strategies: Their optimal implementation and pitfalls. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 13(3), 390-407. doi: 10.1177/1745691617710510
- Nosofsky, R. M., Sanders, C. A., & McDaniel, M. A. (2018). A formal psychological model of classification applied to natural-science category learning. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 27(2), 129-135. doi: 10.1177/096372141770954
- Thomas, R. C., Weywadt, C. R., Anderson, J. L., Martinez-Papponi, B, & McDaniel, M. A. (in press). Testing encourages transfer between factual and application questions in an online learning environment Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, 7(2), 252-260. doi: 10.1016/j.jarmac.2018.03.007